Hope is a caring family in Christ, sharing God’s love and truth.
We believe in the triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as revealed in God’s Word, the Holy Bible.
We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God in human flesh, who died on the cross and rose to life again for our salvation.
We believe that God offers the forgiveness of sins and eternal life to all who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the only way to the Father.
We believe that the Holy Spirit gives and strengthens faith through God’s Word and the Sacraments.
We believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, which dictates all of our teaching and practice.
Enter the Kingdom of God through faith in Jesus Christ.
We are a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), a Christian denomination of over 6000 churches in the United States. For more information on LCMS and what we as Lutherans believe and teach, please visit www.lcms.org.
Under the direction of the Holy Spirit through Pastor Arthur Haake who canvassed the neighborhood of Broadmoor Village, a Sunday School was organized on November 4, 1948, meeting in the Broadmoor Community Center, which led to a Christian worship service in August of 1949. The Lutheran Church of Broadmoor Village was renamed Hope Lutheran Church in April of 1951.
In September of 1953, a two and a half acre site was purchased on Old San Pedro Road in Colma, which is now known as 55 San Fernando Way, Daly City (the current site). Ground breaking for the new church was on March 27, 1955, preceded by the burning of the heather that was growing on the property. Dedication of the church was held on April 8, 1956, followed after much sacrifice of time, talent and treasure by members and friends of the congregation.
Hope Lutheran Church has been served by six pastors: the Rev. Max Zschiegner (1949-1950), the Rev. Louis Marting (1951-1961), the Rev. Paul Malte (1961-1962), the Rev. Arnim Polster (1962-1981), the Rev. Roger Hedstrom (1983-1998), and the Rev. Daniel Woo (1998-present) Hope congregation has also been served by several interim and associate pastors.
The Hope Lutheran Parish Hall was dedicated on February 8, 1970. In 1986, Hope congregation opened Hope Lutheran Day School, which served approximately 12 preschool students and continued to grow to its present enrollment of 140 students with over 30 staff members. In September of 1998, Hope congregation started Hope Elementary School with its first kindergarten class. The construction of a school building was completed after two years of sacrifice made by members and friends of Hope congreation, led by the Laborers For Christ.
In 1992, Hope congregation reached out to the people of the community by starting a Chinese ministry, which resulted in a Chinese language school and afterschool tutorial program. The Rev. Timothy Yip served as our associate pastor to the Chinese side of the congregation until he returned to Hong Kong in 1996.
God has blessed Hope Lutheran Church and School as a congregation of two languages but one body with three educational ministries.